Wednesday, March 20, 2013

DIY Tutorial: How to make a tote bag

Lee esto en Castellano
Another week, another DIY tutorial. As I told you it's a tote bag! And it's actually a variation of the bag that changes its color. To add a special touch to this tote bag, I put a transparent pocket in the front that lets you put photos, magazines or whatever you want. Just like this transparent clutch bag.
Top from Zara, leather skirt from Asos & DIY shoes
Pictures by Borja Skarsgรฅrd

I've always been told that it takes the same effort to make things well, than to make them poorly. I'm not really sure about that, but I know for certain that making things poorly only leads you to waste your time. Because you'll probably have to do the same thing twice. This is why today I'm going to show you guys how to make a real bag, as professional as possible. However, you'll see that it's not so hard to make. This make is made of just two pieces, it has no base or sides. In fact, it's much easier than the envelope clutch I showed you guys last year.

In the beginning I thought of making some sort of window in the front piece, to change the design from the inside. But that would have been too complicated, and it made no sense... In the end I decided to put a clear plastic sheet between the front and the back to create a pocket just with one stitch.
SUPPLIES
_ Leather or fabric for the outside of the bag
_ Fabric for the lining
_ Transparent plastic
_ Thick fusing
_ Pins and double sided tape
_ Cardboard (to make the patterns)
_ Tailor chalk
_ Sewing machine and iron


Optionally you guys can make some seams on the edges, on the sides of the straps and on the two sides of the main seams. I didn't do it because I don't really trust my sewing machine. It's not a professional machine and it sometimes makes awful stitches on thick fabrics. I didn't want to take that risk.

Hope you guys like the video too. It's in spanish again, sorry about that, but 80% of my readers on my main blog (daretodiy.com) are spanish speakers. Anyway, everything is explained on the illustrated tutorial above. Hope you guys enjoy it anyway! 


If you have any question just ask ;)
xxx

Sylvia

7 comments:

  1. Merci pour ce tuto ! J'adore :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I appreciate the very clear instructions and pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for this. I'm happy the instructions came with illustrations as I'm a visual learner. I made my version in a jumbo (about 60 x 50 cm) size to carry around my large knit projects like blanket I'm currently working on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great demonstration! Would be nice to apply on my some leather works. Thank you, Sylvia.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great demonstration....I like it....๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ™

    ReplyDelete
  6. Discover the perfect companion for your everyday adventures with TheStyleSalad's Tote Bag for women's day gift ideas in office! From eco-friendly materials to spacious design, enjoy effortless organization and sustainable style wherever you go. Say goodbye to single-use plastics and hello to chic functionality!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...